Sunday 22 June 2008

Love.

I Loved today’s service.

Neil, today’s speaker is a member of our church, he’s a young guy and has a style different to Colin our pastor, he’s every bit as passionate but in a way of his own. I love it when Col is speaking but I also thoroughly enjoy the contrast and style of others from time to time.

Today the service was about love and how to learn to respond to people who hurt, anger, annoy us etc…Its very hard to turn to somebody who has just insulted or wronged you and tell them ‘I’ll pray for your release from anger’ or ‘its okay I forgive you’ because when you feel hurt and upset, its so much easier to hit right back, it gives a quick release from the sting of the hurt they inflicted on you. I don’t know about anyone else but way back when I did rise to such situations it always made me feel worse doing the tit-for-tat thing.

I feel Blessed that anger doesn’t have a hold on me and I find loving and forgiving quite easy, but that’s something I’ll be testing out over the next month because Neil challenged us all to consciously get up every morning for a month and start the day on a happy note regardless of what is going on. Also when insulted, hurt or angered we should stop and think and try to give the opposite response of what comes natural, which is to slap the said insulter. I’m not too sure what I’ll say exactly when and if somebody hurts me as I honestly can’t remember the last time anyone was nasty to me so I’m well out of practise.

Angry person – Hey you, I think you’re a liar and a waste of space.
Me – Would you like tea or coffee.(with your arsenic)

Seriously though Love Thy Neighbour is the second most important thing to God, the first being to love God himself so I'm going to try it and see starting tomorrow.


1 Corinthians 13